Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Beyond the Game

As I was writing my last post about balancing academics and athletics, I started thinking about how basketball relates to life in general. I mentioned that a handful of professors would be pleased if athletics didn't exist at all, but the women on this team are confident that the skills they practice on the court are preparing them for the rest of their lives. 

"Basketball teaches you how to overcome diversity," freshman Symone Lyles said. "My teammates and I don't all look alike, as you can tell, and we are all from very different families and lifestyles. Throughout all adversity you just have to stick together to succeed and make it through. You can't have doubts, but just trust one another."

Along with learning how to communicate with teammates who are significantly different than you, freshman Ashley Fowler says basketball has improved her communication skills overall. 

"You have to be constantly communicating. You communicate with your teammates, coaches and the media in different ways," she said. "I would feel comfortable now having to approach someone I had never met before and working to get to know them. That is what happened this year when I had only a couple of months to get to know all of my teammates before season started."

Today is tournament day, as you know, and for most of the freshman it has been a long season full of learning. The freshman combined are averaging 12 minutes per game, a significant number for first-year members. Most of the time as a freshman you only get one chance to make a first impression or else the bench is waiting with your name all over it. Freshman Tina Fisher says instead of looking at this as pressure, she likes to think it helps her get in the mindset to play with no regrets and leave nothing behind.

"You have to always play like it is going to be your last game and that is how I try to live my life too. In basketball your time to make an impact is short. When you are applying for a job, isn't it the same?" Fisher said. "You never know when you will get a great opportunity in life, and you always have to live like it might be your last one."

For the Bobcats, tonight could be the last one. It is win and advance, or lose and go home but as long as the team shares Fisher's mentality, they should be ready for battle. Tip-off is tonight at 5 in Mount Pleasant, MI. I will be tweeting game up-dates. If you have any other thoughts on how athletics are important to developing life skills please feel free to comment! Can't wait to hear:)

Fun Fact: Ohio and Central Michigan will be meeting for the 53rd time in the all-time series. Ohio leads 14-11 when playing in Mt. Pleasant. 

Go Bobcats!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Going off of the whole communication aspect, I couldn't agree more with the importance of communicating as a team. I ran cross country and wrestled in high school and if we weren't communicating as a team: we were done for! I hope the bobcats do well, and I can't wait for March Madness in general!

    ReplyDelete
  2. March Madness will be exciting! Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, no tourny ball for the Lady Bobcats so let's root for the men!

    ReplyDelete