Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"No Matter How Down You Are, You Have to Keep Pushing"

Senior night is approaching ahhhh! Saturday the seniors will step on the hard court for their last career game as a Bobcat. I can only imagine what it would feel like, so I sat down with senior Jenny Poff to see what is stirring in her mind with the big night only three days away. She walks us through everything from emotion and family to life lessons she will take away from this sport. 

Q: First, congratulations on such a successful career at Ohio University. What is going through your head as the season approaches its final few games?

A: It's crazy to think that I have been playing basketball for 20 years of my life and it's all just coming to an end. I think senior night is going to be a wreck for me. All of my emotions are going to come at me all at the same time. 

Q: Having spent so much of your time practicing and playing in the Convocation Center, will you feel overwhelmed with emotion knowing Saturday will be the last time you step foot on the floor for a game?

A: I definately think it will be emotional with my family being there and with everything I have gone through with the transfer and all of the coaches I have had. The good times and bad times, it's all going to come to mind all at once. 

Q: You obviously had a senior night in high school, what was that like and do you expect your college senior night experience to be similar?

A: It was not as big of a deal because I knew I was going on. I knew I was playing in college and so I could think about all that was still to come. I was excited about moving on to the next level.

Q: You mention family, what will the Poff crew be like?

A: My mom is going to be emotional and my grandparents. Everybody seeing it come to an end will be emotional. The only person that won't be there is my grandpa who passed away 7-8 years ago. There will be at least 17 of my family members there so it will be powerful. 

Q: Looking back, what is your favorite memory at Ohio University? One that just stands out above the rest.

A: Beating Bowling Green in double-overtime in the semi-finals game in Cleveland. It felt like the MAC Championship game. Seeing our senior Quintana Ward hit the game winning shot was awesome. I had fouled out before the second overtime so I got to see it all happen from the bench. Everyone rushed the floor and it was really awesome. 

Q: Basketball has been such an integral part of your life. What is the most important life lesson you will take away from this game?

A: I just think that sports can teach you so many life lessons. The biggest thing I have taken away is no matter how many times you fail, you always need to get back up and try again. Always. Especially playing a team sport, even if you are low you have all of your teammates to help you and get you back up. No matter how down you are, you have to keep pushing yourself for your teammates even if you don't want to or don't feel like it that day. 

Jenny Poff thank you for taking the time to help us understand what a big moment this will be for you. Good luck!

Fun Fact: Poff has been playing basketball for 20 years. She is 23 years old and, believe it or not, started playing at the age of three!

Go Bobcats!

No comments:

Post a Comment