Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Barnett Leaves Mark on MAC

If there has been one thing Ohio has struggled with all season it's scoring. But for one Bobcat, scoring is the least of her problems. Junior guard Carolyn Barnett averaged 21.5 points per game last week against Northern Illinois and Bowling Green combined and her work has certainly been rewarded. Barnett has been named Mid-American Conference East Division Player of the Week, her first career weekly award.

"Wow," she said. "I didn't know they even saw me. I didn't even know that people noticed me. I was just surprised and it feels great to know that my hard work has paid off."

Well, it is hard NOT to notice a career high 29 points against the Huskies, shooting 11-of-19 from the field with five rebounds and two steals, to spark an offense for Ohio. Then, against Bowling Green, the lights out shooting only continued. Her 60 percent from the field was good for 14 points in just 19 minutes of play.

What is most exciting about Barnett's honor is seeing how far she has come. Last year, Barnett averaged two points and a little over one rebound per game in just six minutes overall for the year. Now, she is arguably one of the most important offensive players on the team.

"It feels so good and I have always thought of myself as a scorer. That is what I am really good at," she added. "Offense is my main key I just had to get a feel of it my first two years. Now I have a better feel of it and I continue to."

Her teammates and coaches have always described her as a a boost of energy, but the way she sees it that is how everyone should be coming off the bench.

"Anyone that is coming off the bench should want to be that spark for the team. I want them to think of me when they think of a spark and I think I am. You have to prove that you deserve to be on the court and if you are coming off the bench, your time to do that is limited," she said.

This Chicago native may have started with limited time, but her impact only continues to increase and with tournament time approaching the Bobcats will take all of the scoring it can get.

Carolyn Barnett

Fun Fact: Barnett is a Health Service Administration Major

Go Bobcats!

3 comments:

  1. I liked this post because it seems like Barnett has really improved her game in the last year! From how you described her, she must be a spark! Nice link to her page, as well as the fun fact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool. Good for her. I feel like a lot of players would get down on themselves or even consider transferring if they weren't getting the playing time that they thought they deserved. Seems her patience has served her well though, and I hope to hear more about her in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She definately had her doubts throughout the season last year and it is one of the most difficult things to overcome. She has been extremely mentally tough and deserves it. Thanks G and Patrick:)

    ReplyDelete